The Briar Patch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to The Briar Patch!
Kick your shoes off and sit a spell!

WIP - Beautiful Death

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liyah

Liyah

WIP - Beautiful Death Empty
PostSubject: WIP - Beautiful Death   WIP - Beautiful Death EmptyThu Oct 29, 2020 7:23 pm

This is a work in progress, which means I said screw it to grammar, spelling, and anything else till the idea stopped clawing at my brain to get out.

Beautiful Death

Nathan hated bars. The smell, the noise, the often run down decor, often left him more miserable than not coming to the Midlands. But on this nostalgically warm night in October, he was drawn up to the gaily lit main street, with its warmly lit shop windows, and noises pouring out from open doors. He would follow the urge he was feeling, as his feet traveled the clean side walk, around couples and families, grabbing early evening treats or a late dinner.

He shoved his hands into his slack pockets, the lapels of his jacket folding around his arms. As often was his style when he came to the Midlands, he attempted at casual but dignified. From the giggles of the passing groups of younger women, he was left feeling he had over done it once more. The suit was a charcoal gray. His shoes a finally polished black as was the t-shirt beneath his jacket. Soft brushed silver cuff links and a simple silver watch were all he wore. The watch a reminder that his trip to the Midlands was monitored and at times short lived. But tonight Zan had been a bit more forgiving when he had even felt the urge to come above.

As he came closer to the pull of whatever it was that was carrying him down this quaint little street, something stopped him. A warm light pouring through the door of a bar. Looking up with hazel eyes he noticed it was an irish pub named O’Kelly’s. Peering into the doorway, Nathan was taken back. The pub was filled with Otherkin.

The Otherkin were what was left over from the Fae and humans inbreeding. The ones that had decided that the temptation of human flesh was not worth the risk of producing a monster. To the naked eye, they looked like ordinary humans. But he was nothing close to ordinary. As he entered, the urge struck him again. The Otherkins attention was drawn to a door at the back of the room. Some chattered but others stared.

Nathan took a seat to the side. A high top table with a high barstool he moved so he could rest his back against the wall. Beside him he noticed a Goblin with a lock of shock white hair. His hagared face took on a wistful look as his eyes widened. Nathan looked in the direction and gasped.

Coming out of the little door with a large tray braced on her shoulder heavy with food and drink, was what one could call an ordinary human woman. Thicker of hip, on the short side, woman. Her lavender hair was tied up in a black scrunchy and her jeans looked worse for wear. But it was the sound coming from her lips that stilled the room. She was singing. And the sound alone was mesmerizing the room around her. He shook his head to look about. A man that could be mistaken for an older blackmith was in fact a rather large imposing Orc, his thick sausage fingers steepled, his chin and tusks against his fingers. As she came by him, she set a large steak plate down and a thick glass filled with beer. Her song would stop for that moment to speak.

“Alright Joe you don’t eat too fast this time, or no more ordering at once.” she said leaning over to kiss his cheek. The orc blushed a bright green color to Nathan as he dug into the food, his eyes once in a while casting to the moving woman, who had moved on to the next table.

A pair of Fae boys, three hundred summers at the most, who were tittering with their phones on taking selfies and pictures of her as she came up. She dropped down a bowl of fries and chicken strips. A smaller bowl filled with ranch set between them and two glasses of brown fizzy drinks. “Now boys. You know I hate my picture taken.”
“But Miss Asterin! No one believes us when we talk about you!” One boy whined. She would set the tray on an empty table and take the phones from the boys deleting her pictures. “You boys know better.” She said with a soft laugh and a hum as she picked the tray back up. As she turned the one boy picked up his phone.

Nathan moved swifter than death and was at the boys side, the phone in his hand. “She said no.” The boy looked up with pink eyes and gasped. The other boy with cerulean hair put his fingers over his lips. “Yes my lord.” He said softly. Nathan would hand the phone back to the boy. It was then he noticed the other pairs of eyes on him. Sighing he took his seat once more, watching the woman who was oblivious to him.

In his immortal life, no one had ever ignored him. Fae, God, Otherkin, even the Celestials would not disrespect him so. He was a Major God. Only a few could truly say that nowadays. Those that had transcended the changing religions. His brother being one of them. And his niece Artemis, having taken the role of a saint to retain her immortality, were the only three that you did not disrespect. But there this mortal woman was doing just that!

Miss Asterin as the boys had called her had moved to the far side of the room to a pair of Dryad women. They looked up and pattered her hands as she put the food down, a longing upon their faces that he had seen in those that entered into his domain upon death. The Midlands were not kind to the Otherkin. Their homes destroyed by mortals greed. But here in this place they gathered to listen to this woman.

An hour would pass as he watched her. She would finally arrive at his table with a tablet and a lock of lavender hair falling in her face. Her song having lifted the room into a pleasant mood. Nathan had steeled himself for her arrival. But as she came to stand before him, he was taken back. Blue eyes shining with a light he had seen once before the race had crashed to the sea, looked back at him.

“Alright handsome what can I get you?” She asked. The song in her voice was so natural he was sure she had no clue what she was doing at all.

“Do you know what you are?” He asked awkwardly. She would blink, apple cheeks blooming with a bright blush on pale skin.

“Is that a trick question? Did my boss send you to mess with me?” She asked dropping her eyes down and puffing out her cheeks.

“I highly doubt your boss would ask such a question of you. And if they have remind me to find a particular place for them someday. But you are completely unaware of what you are. Fascinating!”

“Okay. Well whatever I am will you please order?” She asked, her tone shifting to a lower pitch. He saw movement from the Orc named Joe and  put his hand up. “A lager. And call off your friends.” He said looking to Joe. She turned her hair loosening from the bun, he would quickly reached for it.

“Hey Joe you need a refill?” She called. He lifted the glass and she walked towards him, her strand slipping through his fingers. Sliding from the stool he went to the Orc behind her, taking the seat across from him.

“Do not mess with Miss Asterin.” The Orc said deeply. Nathan leaned on his elbows to look at the Orc. “Why not? And you should know by now I do not harm your kind or any Otherkin.” He said with a sad tone in his voice. The Orc softened.

“We miss her presence. Spring holds no warmth. Till now.” Joe the Orc said looking up as the woman came to the table with the Lager and the Beer.

“What is this about Spring holds no warmth Joe?” She asked setting the glass down and gently nudging his arm with her hand. The Orc would scoot his frame over to allow her to sit at the edge of the booth seat. He would pat her hand that would rest on the old worn table. To her his soft chuckle was just that, to Nathan he heard the grunt of the Orc.

“Nothing to worry about. You are our spring now.” He said as the woman would lean on the older orc’s arm. “You say the sweetest things Joe!” Her gaze would turn to Nathan. “And what about you? Feel the Spring holds no warmth?” She asked him. Nathan stared at her blinking. It was dawning on him what she was.

Siren. Not the water bound kind that was forced from their island due to their trangressions against his former wife, to the sea below. No. The Sirens that were winged warriors that protected persephone when her mother would lock her on that Island. The Sirens that sang to the wind and water. That would lure ships to the island to trade with the mariners. The Sirens that protected his long since gone wife. Spring held on warmth. Yet. Here was a Siren.

“I would say it does not. The world has changed greatly. Do you believe it is colder?” He asked. His question was just that. In the days of old he would have ordered her to answer. But here in this place of modern technology and mortal delights, he would respect the person.

“It has grown colder the past decade or so. But it could be me. I do not see much beyond work and my garden. Ask Joe. He got me the flowers I needed two springs ago so I could finish the beds I was working on.” She said happily nudging the Orcs arm. “Betty and Dee got me the roses I was looking for too.” She said waving to the dryad women in the corner. “Even Hale and Storm helped.” She leaned into Nathan smirking. “It was a badly beaten bird bath, but with a bit of work I was able to make it work.” She chimed. Joe laughed next to her, Nathan looking at him, concern blooming in his chest.

“She did good with that. She does lots of good. I made her her fence for the beds.” He said looking down at Miss Asterin. Nathan’s eyes followed.  Her fingers had began to gently tap on the wood. Joe reached over touching her fingers with his sausages. Nathan was trying to his hardest to not react, dark green fingers over the palest hand, as if that green hand could crush the fragile bones beneath its palm. But it was a soft pat. “Need food for new friend. Steak like Joe.” He said nodding at Miss Asterin. She would nod and get up,her song lifting as she began to move, her voice cooling the on alert mood that had rose.

“She has anxiety.” He heard the orc say. Nathan had turned to watch her, only to look back at the Orc.

“Excuse me?”

“Miss Asterin. She was mistreated as child. Anxiety makes her tap.” Joe said. Nathan would nod as the two boys came up pulling chairs. The one with the pink eyes smiled. “Sorry about earlier. I am hale, blue boy is Storm. Hey Joe!” Hale said, the orc would snort and smile at the two boys. “Sorry my Lord we had to come over. Joe isn’t the best story teller.” Hale quipped. Storm leaned on an empty table licking his fingers. “Yeah Joe here is more a big bear but story teller he is not. Names storm and you are the Devil.” He said to Nathan.

Nathan shook his head. “When in the Midlands I go by Nathan. Well met you two and Joe. Now tell me how does she not know she is a Sir…” The three men would shush him. At that moment he felt fingers touch his arm. Betty and Dee had also came over, as well as the Goblin.

“Nathan, she does not know because we have protected her from it. We do not come here for the food. Hank is a rubbish cook for a troll. But he does love that girl. We fear if she knows she will lose her song, as many of her water bound sisters have, lost to the storms and hurricanes that threaten the midlands.” The one called Betty said. Dee would nod her autumn leaves bouncing a cheery red. “Poor creature has already been mishandled since she was a child. Lords know what would happen if she knew.” The two older dryads would nod.
Back to top Go down
Liyah

Liyah

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Beautiful Death   WIP - Beautiful Death EmptyThu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm

{Next part}

Nathan looked between them. It was the Goblin that would speak up.

“She strong. G.B.Lin give her many spoons.” He said proudly. Everyone looked at the Goblin who had proclaimed himself G.B.Lin. It would be Joe that would speak up.

“Look at how good those spoons are.” He snorted. The Goblin not able to help himself, jumped to the table, pulling a rather impressive wooden spoon from one would assume his back pocket. He brandished it like a weapon.

“You will not anger G.B.LIN!” He cried shaking the spoon at the crowd. Around his waist wound a pale arm, and he was lifted from his feet to the ground, spoon taken from his hands. He turned angrily, all eyes on the Siren.

“Mr. Lin. You know better.” She said bowing down to hand him back his spoon. “If you did not repair things for me, and make this amazing wood work I would toss you from here.” She teased.

Nathan watched as the suddenly angry Goblin had calmed, as if a switch had been flipped. She brought the refill for Joe, and the plate for Nathan. His eyes turned to the food and then back to her as she sang her way to the kitchen. The Troll in back nodded at him, moving out of sight only to come through a badly abused door. Beside him chortled the Goblin. The Troll leaned on the bar watching the group with amused eyes.

“Repaired that lots.” He said to Nathan. He was about to start eating when his watch chimed… and the door opened.

Thanatos, god of Nightmares also known as Zan, stood in the doorway of the pub, along with a short haired sprite of a woman dressed sadly like a school counselor. The two Fae boys started smacking the table seeing her.

“HALE LOOK ITS MISS CATE!” Storm cried. Hale nodded with a stupid grin, raising his hand to wave at her .”MISS CATE!” He called. Nathan looked back. He didn’t need to see them. Zan was there to collect him, and Hecate or Miss Cate as the two Fae had screamed in delight. Zan glared at him as he noticed Nathan’s current company. But as the kitchen door opened, his demeanor changed. Hecate put her fingers to her lips, one hand lifting to point. “Nathan do you see that?” She asked fairly loudly.

As if he had never moved he stood before his two closest partners in crime, his hand over their mouths. “Yes. I am aware.” Zan pulled Nathan’s hand from his mouth. “Nathan. This is dangerous. Your brother hates her kind. His zealots will hunt her down.” Zan warned. Hecate pulled his hand gently away next. “And she is surrounded by Other…” Nathan’s hand going back to her lips.

“I know.” It would be those two next that would start asking him why he was here, but his eyes went back to Asterin. She had settled down on Hale and Storm’s abandoned table to look at the three in the doorway. Her eyes watching him.

“So any of you going to tell me why everyone in my pub decided to merge on Joe’s table and now you two new comers look like you are up to no good?” She asked. Nathan opened and closed his mouth for a few moments, when a voice behind the three emerged.

“Its because they are idiots and forgot what tact was.” The male voice said. Zan, Cate, and Nathan moved aside, all three sighing. Behind them stood one more of the crew. He was dressed in skinny black dockers, a leather jacket with a red shirt beneath. His helmet hung in his hand as he flicked back a long strand of dark brown hair from his eyes. His soft gold brown almond eyes roamed over her, as he stepped forward.

Nathan watched Asterin as she narrowed her eyes at him. He had to chuckle a little as the Siren resisted the charm of Ares. He had known a plenty of Otherkin and Mortal to fall under that stare. Ares, god of war, Korean Action Movie actor, had charmed a few in his immortality. But not this one. She crossed her arms over her chest and leaned further back on the table. He could hear the tittering of Storm behind her, but not Hale. Shooting a look to the other Fae boy, he noticed his eyes wide and his mouth agape. The look on his face was love at first sight.

“Ares. You must be what our dear friend Nathan disappeared to see. Don’t mind Zan and Cate, they have been hiding in a cave.” He said sticking out his free hand. Asterin looked at the hand and back at him.

“I know who you are. But the last I checked for Hank,” she looked back at the Troll, “You were in South Korea yesterday shooting a 2 week part of an upcoming movie Hank needs to see. So why would you leave your job to come all the way to this little town and the Pub that your friend happened to show up on this day of all days?” she asked. Nathan burst out laughing.

“Dem really created you well.” He said out loud, only to groan. Her eyebrow raised.

“Dem? Last I checked my mothers name was Carol. And she has washed her hands of my trouble.”
Back to top Go down
Liyah

Liyah

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Beautiful Death   WIP - Beautiful Death EmptyThu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Side note - The G.B. Lin Award is something Ruin and I joke about thanks to the brainstorming of this story after the dream that got it clawing at my poor head in the first place. When someone does something so stupid or annoying they get the "G.B.Lin award for <Insert the stupid action or whatever here>. " Through out the brainstorming we would go back to Goblin and how utterly devoted he is to Asterin but how dumb he can be at times. Like in one point of our notes, we had him giving out his spoons(which he has a bag of holding in his back pocket filled with spoons) as weapons and actually runs out! So now left with no weapon for himself he runs away from the fight that will come(its coming), and his compadre's are thinking he has chickened out. No he had found a pizza parlor, smashed through the door and got a long handled pizza spatula, you know the ones that can move a full pie around, to come back into the fight with. Was it smart of him to do that? No. Was it brilliant? YES. But its Goblin. He has good moments and really really bad ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Beautiful Death   WIP - Beautiful Death Empty

Back to top Go down

WIP - Beautiful Death
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Briar Patch :: Briar Patch Community :: Creative Corner :: Writer's Library :: Work in Progress by Author :: Liyah aka ReddSiren-
Jump to: